Monday, January 19, 2009

Inauguration

Today, this is a bit of a rant.
Tomorrow is the inauguration of our 44th president, Barack Obama. I have to admit that I am not a fan of the man. People are fawning over him like he's going to be the savior of all our countries ills. There are some of his policies that I do not agree with. Before anyone comments on this, let me say I lost alot of respect for George Bush and I thought John McCain was a doofus. To be completely honest, I do not trust politicians in general. Especially those who have been in office for years.
This morning though during my devotions, the author wrote about about those in our government. Her verse was 1 Timothy 2:1-2 "I urge, then, first of all, that request, prayer, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings, and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."
I do not have a problem praying the "request, prayer, and intercession" but at this point I just don't think I can be thankful for him (or our politicians in general). But it is commanded so I will try my best to do this.
This was the author's prayer: Dear Lord, I pray for our national leaders. Allow their hearts to be open to Your wisdom and guidance. Remind me to pray for them fervently and frequently. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
Romans 13:1 (NIV)

No comments: