Sunday, March 1, 2009

I want to live in a monastery

I understand why monks like to live in monasteris. I really enjoy being in church. When I'm there I don't want to leave. It's like my heart and soul are finally quiet enough that I hear God speaking and can sense His presence. Even now, sitting here typing, I want to sense that communion that I had there. And I know it's not the building. It's not the pastor or Sunday school class. It's hard to put into words what it actually is. But my soul longs for it, cries for it. Maybe it has to do with what I wrote a few sentences ago about being quiet, listening, communing.
Rick Warren, the author of The Purpose Driven Church, along with others is putting out a new magazine. In it, he has written an article on how to have quiet time with God. He wrote, "where you have your quiet time is just as important as when. .......... Wherever you choose, make it a sacred place - a place you set aside to meet each day with the Lord of the universe." I guess that's what I feel like when I've been at church, I've met with the Lord of the universe and I just want to stay there. Because much of my time spent in devotions or reading "Christian" magazines is just going through religious motions. That I'm doing them for appearance.

4 comments:

Betsy Henning said...

Hi Robin,
When you move in to your monastery perhaps I could get the room next door :-)
Love, Bets

Robin said...

Bets, would love the company.

Betsy Henning said...

Robin, I'm guessing you moved to the monastery and they won't let you use the computer -- hence, long time no blog.

That's my friendly reminder that some of us are checking, hoping to find some good reading.

Robin said...

Thanks for the reminder. I was going to write tonight but it would have been more of a whiny rambling than a walk of faith