Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Is attending church required?

Since I grew up in a Christian home every Sunday we had to attend church and Sunday School. The only time you didn't go was if you were sick. So, I brought this question up to the Sunday school class 2 weeks ago, is it being legalistic to say as a Christian you have to attend church (and Sunday school)? The Bible says "don't forget the assembling of yourselves."
I'm not a person who believes you have to go to church everytime the doors are open, nor do I think that there isn't time when it is okay to stay home, but it seems in our society that people only go when it is convenient. And it seems that other things in our lives become a higher priority than worship on Sunday mornings. "I work hard all week, it's the only day I get to sleep in." "The grass needed mowing." etc, etc. So, then it leads me to other questions, if I don't go to church then when do I find time to fellowship not only with other believers but with God himself? When do I take time to worship? And if I have children isn't it important for them to learn the Bible stories? Which brings up me to something else that bothers me about not attending; what about our kids? As a Christian parent I'm responsible for them and their spiritual training. So, if I don't attend church or Sunday school what about their learning?
I have to admit that this particular blog posting is coming out of frustration. Even one of my own children doesn't see Sunday school and church as a priority. And every Sunday morning I come in from Sunday school and see families who are only attending church services and don't bring their kids for Sunday school.
Okay, so, am I being too legalistic. Yes, I know that to a degree I am. So, tell me what do you think about this subject.

3 comments:

Betsy Henning said...

Is everyone afraid to comment on this??? Of course church attendance is not required...not for salvation anyway...but for living out your faith. How could a Christian keep themselves from being with a body of believers and giving praise and worship to the God who loves them so much He saved them? My thought is, how can you not go to church? It's a powerful love that draws me there.

Robin said...

Thanks for the comment Bets! I really would love to hear others comments on this.

Brian said...

Robin,
Most of the areas in my walk of faith where I have grown, was because of the encouragement and oftentimes correction that I have received from others in the church. I believe on my own, I would have stayed the same, because by yourself, you end up forming your own interpretations. I don't feel that it is required, but it is needed for edification and teaching and training in righteousness.