Monday, October 12, 2009

"Quench my thirst"

The struggle with depression and anxiety is on again. It's actually been going on since the late summer. And I'm really trying to trust God on why it continues. The question of why doesn't He heal me has been going around in my brain. But God reassures me that He created me, He knows me intimately and He has a purpose.
I just read a devotion in which the author's sister has MS and the author had lost hope. She wrote a prayer at the end of the devotion that struck a chord in my heart.
"...Please quench my thirst for understanding with reassurance of Your faithfulness. I ask that you guard my heart from the temptation to focus on the problem, instead of the One who holds everything in His hands."
And this verse has come to mind; "I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:10

2 comments:

Kaizen said...

I am also struggling with anxiety and depression. I wonder if its maybe tied somewhat to the kids getting back to school, along with summer being over, and for me two of my siblings died in the fall, two years ago now. So I can relate to feeling a bit down-but when I'm on my knees that's when I look up the most. So I guess that's the good thing in it. I always try to look for the good in everything, and my troubles always bring me closer to God and help me get stronger. I must confess that I feel better knowing I am not alone in this struggle but I pray you feel better soon. In the meantime, I hope you can rest in God's hands and trust that He knows what He's doing. He does, you know.

Brian said...

Robin, I am sorry to hear you are feeling so depressed and down lately. I like the title of your latest blog "Quench My Thirst. It shows that you have a strong desire to seek God for direction and strength, and that you are acknowledging to Him that you want Him to heal you and strengthen you. In the sermon on the mount in Matthew 5 verse 6 it says Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. I will be praying for you that you will continue to be strengthened as you continue to remind yourself of who GOd says you are and as you believe in His promises for your life.